I was recently given a review key from Kalypso Media for Commandos 2 HD Remastered and I haven’t put it down since.
I remember when I was younger spending hours at my PC playing games like this and Command and Conquer. Commandos was a game which required patience, skill and strategy and I’m so happy to see 20 years later I still have those attributes, even if my reaction time isn’t quite as sharp.
Relive the real-time tactics masterpiece that defined the genre like no other: Originally developed by the legendary Pyro Studios, Commandos 2 – HD Remaster is a true homage to one of gaming’s most celebrated masterpieces. Experience Commandos 2 Men of Courage like never before in high definition with reworked controls, UI and tutorial. Take control of an elite group of commandos who must venture deep into enemy territory and utilize their combined expertise to complete a series of notoriously demanding missions set in World War II. Go covert into various environments based on authentic World War II locations and lead your team of commandos against overwhelming odds, operate covertly and turn the tide of war.
Originally a PC game, this remastered version is available on the Nintendo switch and it works incredibly well. I found this really easy to pick up using the switch as a handheld device, not so much on the TV with the Joy Cons detached.
Not quite a turn based game as you don’t have to wait for an opponent to take a turn. You watch the environment, plot out your mission and make your moves and I found this to work fluently on the Switch.
You operate a mixture of different special forces characters who all have different skills. The Green Beret, The Diver, The Sniper, The Sapper, The Spy and The Thief. The biggest challenge in the game is working out who is best to do what and which obstacles have to be removed before certain actions can be completed. Yes it can be frustrating, yes you will pull your hair out but it only makes you more and more determined to finish the level, then start all over again.
• Re-imagined in HD with reworked controls, modernized UI and an overhauled tutorial.
• Interactive environments: steal enemy uniforms and weapons, climb poles, swing from cables, swim, utilize vehicles, and climb in/out of buildings, ships and planes.
• Control nine unique commandos, each with different skills and specializations including green beret, sniper, demolition expert, diver, seductress and thief.
• The Commandos series’ first appearance in a modern 3D Engine: rotate the environment 360 degrees, move seamlessly in and out of buildings, submarines, planes and underwater, and zoom in and out of the environment.
• Authentic WWII scenarios: 10 missions spanning 9 different environments in night and day, with realistic weather effects.
• The choice is yours: how you tackle each mission is up to you. Experiment with skills and weapons in a challenging “against the odds” gameplay style.
• WWII vehicles and weapons, including jeeps, tanks, trucks, ships, bazookas and flame-throwers.
Commandos 2 is a great shot of nostalgia and well deserves its HD remaster. In a world of online Co-OP gaming it’s nice to get back to single player basics and take some time for yourself. The HD upscale makes what was already a nice looking game look that much sharper and plays perfectly on the Nintendo Switch.
I played this on the Nintendo Switch with a complimentary game key provided by Kalypso Media and received no other incentive to review this game.